[CentOS] Least painful MySQL 4.1 -> 5 upgrade on CentOS 4.1

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 21:44:01 UTC 2006

> > Hi. I've happily been running MySQL 4.1 on my CentOS 4.1 x86_64
> > server. But I need to upgrade to MySQL 5. Any recommendations on how
> > to accomplish this without too much pain? I guess I'll need to get
> > RPMs from the MySQL website.

These RPMS are available in the centosplus repository. Make sure you
take a mysqldump of your existing DB first before the upgrade as a
precaution, but it should be a smooth transition.

yum --enablerepo centosplus install mysql   (and mysql-server or
whatever else you want) should be all you need.

George Orwell