[CentOS] extending ext3 filesystem on logical volume

James Marcinek

jmarc1 at jemconsult.biz
Thu Aug 17 22:32:33 UTC 2006

hello all,

I am trying to expand my /var file system which resides on a logical
volume. I successfully issued the lvextend command. However when I try
to issue the ext2online command I receive a return code of 3 which the
man pages indicates:

ext2online /var
ext2online v1.1.18 - 2001/03/18 for EXT2FS 0.5b
ext2online: group 0, block 7 not reserved

ext2online: unable to resize /dev/mapper/root_vg-lv_var

echo $?
3

3    Error in pre-resizing (user space) operation

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong. I would prefer doing this
online...

thanks,

James