[CentOS] connecting linux console using serial port (NOW PPP)

israel.garcia at cimex.com.cu israel.garcia at cimex.com.cu
Sat Aug 19 14:34:34 UTC 2006

Alex, in this  case of setting up PPP on my linux, do I have to run
"s0:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -D -n 2 -s 115200 /dev/ttyS0 " in inittab
file?

Thanks again;
Regards;
Israel

Quoting israel.garcia at cimex.com.cu

> Alex, thanks for your soon answer, but in case I want to configure PPP
> on this server, what files do I have to configure?
> Can I login in this server using SSHD over a PPP conection?

First you'd uncomment that /AutoPPP/ line in login.config file.
Depending if you want to allow or not direct login on modem line,
you'd eiteher leave or comment out the "/bin/login" line at the end of
a file.

Than you'd need to install pppd and configure it.  You'd go to
/etc/ppp.  Edit options and options.ttyS0 files, and probably take a
look into chap-secrets and pap-secrets (by default they should be
setup as fallthrough to /etc/passwd, unless you changed them).

You might put something like this into options file:
lock
crtscts
proxyarp
1.2.3.4:

And something like this into options.ttyS0 file:
:1.2.3.5

Change 1.2.3.4 to be the IP address of the server (box where the modem
is).  1.2.3.5 is the IP address that will be assigned to the client
that connected from ttyS0.  Make sure both addresses are on the same
subnet.  And you should be set to go.