[CentOS] Copying files from DOS environment based on archive bit

Nigel Kendrick

support-lists at petdoctors.co.uk
Mon Aug 21 22:29:24 UTC 2006

Hi Folks,

I've a Linux server that has a disk on a Windows NT-based machine mounted
via samba so that it appears as /share/pd on the Linux box.

I am trying to automate a backup procedure that pushes files from the NT
disk to another site as a ZIP file using scp. All is working OK, but I'd now
like to make the backup 'incremental' so can anyone think of a way I can
grab files off the NT server based on whether their archive bit is set (and
then clear the bit) - I can't see that the Linux ZIP command supports this
and can't see a way of doing it with mtools.

I might visit this afresh and host the data files on the Linux server in due
course and then have a look at tar/dar/bacula, but for the moment they must
stay where they are for various technical reasons.

Any ideas?!

Thanks

Nigel Kendrick