[CentOS] 32bit versus 64bit memory usage?

Feizhou feizhou at graffiti.net
Tue Aug 29 07:50:42 UTC 2006

> Feizhou wrote:
>> there is no difference in how much RAM memory you should use but if
>> you are going to get a box with more than 1GB of RAM (I think it is
>> 1G...) using AMD's (note Intel: EMT64 cpus don't count) cpus will give
>> you better memory performance.
>
> You really like broad, general statements with your personal opinion,
> right? :)

=P

> AMD's on-chip memory controller gives it lower latency, no matter how
> much memory you have installed. Memory DIMM mix for Dual Channel can
> give bandwidht improvements, but both for Intel and AMD architectures.
> Yes, there are minute differences in how EMT64 and AMD64 chips handles
> page tables and addressable memory but for all practical intents and
> purposes they are the same.

Hmm, well, Intel's implementation of AMD's 64-bit instructions is not
exactly the same. As you have said, those 'minute' differences with
regard to memory addressing will not cause software problems but the
kernel will handle memory access differently when more than 1GB of RAM
is installed and on an AMD cpu, the kernel uses a more efficient method.