[CentOS] Can ONLY log in as root-console perms problem

fredex

fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Aug 30 00:45:06 UTC 2006

I did yum update the other day and it downloaded and installed a bunch of stuff,
including a kernel. Didn't have time to reboot until today. today when I reboot,
I get a message something like this during boot (from memory since it doesn't
seem to be saved in dmesg anywhere):

	CRITICAL unknown class console at line 23 in /etc/security/console.perms

and when the system finishes booting, only root can log in. X won't start, keeps
erroring out because, well, I can't be sure. whenever I try to log in as myself
it thinks for a few seconds then I get a blue screen saying there already seems
to be a ":0" running, would I like to start ":1". If I say yes it tries to
start another one and fails the same way.

here's an excerpt from /etc/security/console:

	<mainboard>=/dev/apm_bios
	<pmu>=/dev/pmu
	<bluetooth>=/dev/rfcomm*
	<raw1394>=/dev/raw1394

	# permission definitions
	<console>  0660 <floppy>     0660 root.floppy	<===== line 23
	<console>  0600 <sound>      0600 root
	<console>  0600 <cdrom>      0660 root.disk
	<console>  0600 <pilot>      0660 root.uucp
	<console>  0600 <jaz>        0660 root.disk

I cannot log in on a text console either, only root can. When I try it instantly
returns to the login prompt. Sometimes I'll see a short message flash for a
hundredth of a second that looks like it might be the same one approximated
above.

I saw a series of messages from someone else saying he had to back out to the
previous kernel, apparently because of a NVIDIA driver issue, so I tried that
and it made no difference. He also suggested adding "pci=noacpi pci=biosirq"
to the grub boot command, but the thing wouldn't even boot when I tried that.
so, this must be some other problem.

This is centos-4 32-bit xi6 on an Athlon XP 2600+, Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2
motherboard that has been running either Tao or Centos for 2 1/2 years.

Advice would be appreciated!

Fred
  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding