[CentOS] /var goes read-only

Alfred von Campe alfred at 110.net
Fri Dec 1 21:51:47 UTC 2006

On Dec 1, 2006, at 16:07, Joshua Gimer wrote:

> This is an issue that I have been having with one of our production
> servers for a couple of months, just out of no where /var goes to
> read only.

Maybe the disk is going bad.  I had the same (or similar) thing
happen to me with the root partition, which in my case also contains
the /var partition.  It turned out to be a disk going bad.  Check the
archives of this mailing list for a thread titled "EXT3-fs error
(devive dm-0) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted" earlier this
year.  Run smarctl on the drive with the /var partition if it
supports it.

Alfred