[CentOS] CentOS 4 and Intel D965 motherboards

David Thompson thomas at cs.wisc.edu
Tue Dec 5 19:20:01 UTC 2006

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:

>If it's not too late, return the motherboard, get something else.
>
>My personal experience with Intel's desktop motherboards is that they
>work most of the time for most of the people.  Which is not enough for
>me.  If you browse the list's archives, you'll find that particular
>models of Intel motherboards worked fine for many people on the list.
>However, that can't be said for the whole line of Intel's motherboards
>in general.  I currently have one Intel motherboard on my desk that
>works just fine with CentOS 4.4 (D845GNT).  There is couple of BIOS bugs
>when selecting boot device, but with some trial and error I got it to
>boot from CD-ROM so I could install OS onto it.  Some time ago I also
>had another Intel's motherboard (D865PERL) that worked extremely
>unstable depending on combination of additional PCI cards (it
>particularly didn't like PCI cards made by Intel).

Thanks for the input.  We have several hundred Intel motherboards in various deployments, of many different Intel northbridge generations: 815, 845, 865, 915, and 945.  For the most part, they've worked very well for us.

Our vendor is starting to push us to migrate to the 965-based generation; thus our current evaluation (and question(s)).

Cheers,

Dave