[CentOS] [OT] Linux/CentOS Volunteer or PT Work

Nick Webb

webbn at acm.org
Tue Dec 5 20:49:41 UTC 2006

Hi All,

I'm pretty new to this list and to CentOS, so forgive me if this kind of
thing is shunned.  I have really enjoyed following some threads on this list
and learning what everyone out there is doing with the OS.  I actually got
started on CentOS when researching how to study for the RHCE without forking
out big cash for Red Hat licenses, a donation is coming soon.

Anyway, I'm looking to do some part time Linux work (I'll work cheap,
possibly free for a non-profit) and would like some suggestions on how
others on the list have found odd job work.  My goal with this work is to
get some resume building Linux experience, help me pass the RHCE exam, and
ultimately begin doing contact work or move into a full-time Linux/Unix
position.  I have two years experience administering HP-UX and Sun Solaris
for a University, about 8 years total IT experience, and I've used Linux at
home since 1998 or so; I just need some "real-world" Linux experience.  I
feel confident I can accomplish just about any Linux project using my broad
background of experience and learning a little along the way.

The main problem I see is that I only have 10-15 hours per week to give
this, as I have a full-time IT job as well, so flexibility on time of
day/time of week of work is key.

Thanks,
Nick

PS: Without starting a holy flame war, how do you all feel about the RHCE
exam?  Other preferred exams?  I know exams mean very little in comparison
to experience, but I feel without much "real world" experience on Linux it
may be a good start at getting the first gig...