[CentOS] [OT] Linux/CentOS Volunteer or PT Work

techlists at comcast.net techlists at comcast.net
Wed Dec 6 16:05:28 UTC 2006

This IS a "holy war" kind of question!  :-)

Most people have strong opinions about this topic and tend to be very black and white about "this way is the best!".

In the real world, different things impress different employers. Some employers give a lot of credibility to certifications, some don't.

If you're trying to get a break into a certain niche, every little bit helps. The RCHE cert does require hands on effort, so it's not looked at as a "paper certification". Your IT background is pretty decent anyway, so it's not like you're really starting from scratch. Especially the Solaris and HP experience is relevant to administering Linux.

Btw, I got started with CentOS for the same reason as you. I wanted to pursue the RHCE and couldn't afford to fork out the cash for a Redhat license. (Are you listening Redhat? CentOS is bringing you business because it helps IT people get experience and eventually certification with your product!)

PG

From: "Nick Webb" <webbn at acm.org>