[CentOS] Getting and installing kernel source for 2.6.9-42.ELsmp

Charles E Campbell Jr charles.e.campbell at nasa.gov
Wed Dec 6 20:42:13 UTC 2006

Charles Campbell sent:
 > Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 10:01 AM
 > To: centos at centos.org
 > Subject: [CentOS] Getting kernel source for 2.6.9-42.ELsmp
 >
 > Hello!
 >
 > I need to get an arcnet device driver up and running.  Normally it
 > appears to be distributed with linux, but not installed.  So,
 > I need to
 > compile and install it, naturally.
 >
 > So, where is the kernel souce for 2.6.9-42.ELsmp?  I can find kernel
 > source for 2.6.9.

Seth Bardash wrote
 > The kernel source for building the kernel is in the SRPM's directory.
 >
 > The original install kernel source is in
 > ./4.4/os/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.9-42.EL.src.rpm
 >
 > The latest update kernel source
 > ./4.4/updates/SRPM/kernel-2.6.9-42.0.3.EL.src.rpm
 >
 > But getting the source is just the beginning.

I was able to get the original 4.4 kernel from

  http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4.4/os/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.9-42.EL.src.rpm

using Phillip R. Shaffner's advice.

However,  rpm -i kernel-2.6.9-42.EL.src.rpm
yielded no driver source anywhere under /usr/src ; in particular, no
arcnet source.

So, I tried Seth Bardash's advice to use up2date:

  up2date --get-source kernel

This yielded a number of fetches, but terminated with

    An HTTP error occurred:
    Status Code: 404
    Error Message: Not Found

No driver source present afterwards, either, anywhere under /usr/src.

 > Note: An exploded source tree is not required to build kernel modules
against
 > the currently in-use kernel.

That's basically what I want to do -- just build the arcnet code and
insmod it.

So, what am I doing wrong?  How do I get that source?

Thank you,
Charles E. Campbell