[CentOS] Centos SATA PCI Card

chrism at imntv.com chrism at imntv.com
Thu Dec 7 13:42:19 UTC 2006

Bruno Sousa wrote:

> Hi there,
>

> I’m trying to build a home made NAS/SAN server using Centos 4. I have
> an old HP ML series server with support for IDE disks only.
>
> So I thought that I could by some pci sata controller to use sata
> disks that are cheaper and faster than IDE’s.
>
> My question is , does anyone have used the Conceptronic PCI Sata Card
> sucefully in CentOS ? The pci card is called  Serial ATA & IDE Combo
> Card ou CSATACOMBO, with more information at
> http://www.conceptronic.net/site/desktopdefault.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=200&Cat=30&grp=3030&ar=&Prod_ID=982&Prod=CSATACOMBO&subid=554
> <http://www.conceptronic.net/site/desktopdefault.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=200&Cat=30&grp=3030&ar=&Prod_ID=982&Prod=CSATACOMBO&subid=554>

Based on the picture, it appears to use some sort of VIA chipset.  I'm
not sure of the level of support for those in Linux.  Most of the cheap
SATA cards are based on the Silicon Image chips which are well
supported.  Also note, that the card you specified has 2 SATA ports, but
one of them is external (for a device outside of the PC case).

Cheers,