[CentOS] Good value for /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes

Morten Torstensen morten at mortent.org
Fri Dec 8 09:17:29 UTC 2006

John R Pierce wrote:
> in our case, our production systems are a very large very complex
> realtime oracle database running on large scale Sun enterprise hardware
> on bigiron EMC storage, using dozens and dozens of raid10 logical
> volumes as you do NOT want to have a single 10TB volume, sorry.   by
> hand optimizing the tablespace layouts of the applications tables and
> indicies, which have very specific access patterns, we can get double
> the throughput of the blind 'just stripe the universe' approach.   Since

Oh you would not have a single 10TB volume of course: and it is still a
little quaint to hand optimize tablespaces. That is something we did in
the 90s.  Our own tests on multi-TB databases and modern SAN systems,
the shotgun approach beat hand optimization every time. And we are
talking about people with dozens of years with SQL optimization behind
them. Intelligent I/O prefetch adaption, intelligent and dynamic access
plans... the world of performance in the RDBM world is changing and old
rules for performance are changing with it.

--

//Morten Torstensen
//Email: morten at mortent.org
//IM: Cartoon at jabber.no morten.torstensen at gmail.com

And if it turns out that there is a God, I don't believe that he is evil.
The worst that can be said is that he's an underachiever.