[CentOS] Tyan K8SRE troubles with CentOS 4.4 i386

Dan Halbert halbert at bbn.com
Wed Dec 13 23:52:16 UTC 2006

 >hey, I thought mixing dimm sizes was verbotten on opterons?

Thanks for everyone's comments. I consulted with the person who has
actually been working on the hardware. He says these motherboards have
six slots for DIMM's, not 8, but they are supposedly in GT24 chassis,
which come with K8SRE boards. So it's not clear what's going on; I may
be misreporting the motherboards. There are mixed sizes per board: 4 1GB
and 2 2GB. During testing, we did try removing the 2GB DIMM's, but did
not rebalance the memory. We are physically away from the machines, so
we'll take a closer look in the morning, and try some other
configurations. The x86_64 vs. i386 difference is odd; maybe they treat
the memory controllers differently?

Where would I find official warnings about memory-size mixing? We can
bring it up with the vendor. The motherboard manual doesn't have such
caveats. Is this oral tradition?

Dan