[CentOS] Tyan K8SSA (corrected) troubles with CentOS 4.4 i386

chrism at imntv.com chrism at imntv.com
Fri Dec 15 03:03:28 UTC 2006

Feizhou wrote:

>> I don't have any experience with that particular board or chipset.
>> Sorry.  Tyan tech support is going to be pretty worthless so I hope
>> you're able to track down the cause of the problem.  I'd be curious
>> to know what the root problem is when you get things sorted.
>
> Really? I got pretty good support from Tyan to diagnose the
> incompatible RAM modules I got...that was three years ago. Have they
> gone bad?

I had a really hard time with them when trying to troubleshoot issues
with the 2895 board and the Highpoint Rocketraid 2224.  Highpoint would
email me replies within the hour and returned a few phone calls.  Emails
and phone calls to Tyan went unanswered for about 10 days at which point
I got an extremely unhelpful canned email response (install the latest
firmware and try again).  I won't be buying any additional Tyan boards
and sent all but 2 of that batch back (I'd deployed 2 as desktops while
waiting for answers from Tyan and was too lazy to swap them out).

Back in the 1990-1998 era, I used lots and lots of Tyan tomcat boards
and was happy with support.  So perhaps they are dropping (or have
dropped) the ball.

Cheers,