[CentOS] Tyan K8SSA (corrected) troubles with CentOS 4.4 i386

Feizhou feizhou at graffiti.net
Tue Dec 19 03:35:57 UTC 2006

> We have been using the Tyan Thunder S2882GNR-D Motherboard and AMD
> Opteron 270's and Chenbro Chassis with much success since the Supermicro
> stuff looks like Intel is holding sway...  With the Zippy brand power
> supplied, LSI-Logic RAID 2x, broadcomm NICs, Crucial memory, and Fujitsu
> Ultra320 SCSI disks we see very little breakage, like none, on the app
> cluster.

Those older AMD chipset boards are solid are not they? I installed a
dual Opteron 242 box with 2GB of RAM (4x512MB) using the 2881 board I
was talking about. This was about two years ago. A 3ware 7508 + 6 200GB
IDE disks + 2 scsi disks as the system disks + 350 watt redundant, ATX
sized, 2themax power supply :D. I never got a complaint about its stability.

Another Tyan box that is relatively new that (Tyan 2865) I built (but
running Windows XP 64-bit) has also been rock solid once I replaced the
incredibly expensive and incredibly unstable 3dlabs Wildcat Realizm 500
with an elcheapo ATI card. If I had known that 3dlabs was leaving the
market...

So if Tyan is losing its edge with its new stuff...that is a real pity.