[CentOS] Slightly OT: DNS -force client always use authoritative

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Tue Dec 19 12:02:22 UTC 2006

Feizhou wrote:
> For his stated purpose yes they do: "that clients are always *forced* to
> use an autoritative name server". I take that to mean that those clients
> will be able to go ask an authoritative server which means they need to
> be able to find the authoritative server and that means following
> referrals.

Yeah.  But the problem is (in my experience) that people sometimes want
clients to get authoritative answers for cosmetic reasons, not realizing
some of their clients have crippled resolvers, and than they get into
trouble.  It is best to let the name server do the resolving (and deal
with the problems on that level).