[CentOS] Centos 4.0 (Final) and Dell 1950 with SAS controller

Fabian Arrotin fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net
Fri Dec 22 16:00:51 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 14:57 -0500, Glenn MacGregor wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have an "appliance" cd which uses CentOS 4.0 (Final) which I am trying to load on a new Dell 1950 server with a SAS driver controller. During the install it fails to find any disks to load to. I got the drivers from Dell and dd the correct one to a floppy, boot from the appliance cd and enter linux dd at the prompt. I load the driver in the install and it still fails to find any disks.

Maybe contact your 'applicance' provider to provide you an updated
version of his 'appliance' based on CentOS 4.x .
If you really have to stick with that appliance version, you can still
try to modify your driver disk to match the kernel used during setup
(remember that up to CentOS 4.3, a i586 kernel and not a i686 one was
used so kernel mismatch with the driver disk , containing only i686
modules !). To understand what to change : http://www.arrfab.net/?
topic=tutorials&id=centosdd

On the other hand, i had recently to setup CentOS 4.4 on newer IBM x336
servers that come with LSI Sas controller and that was supported without
any driver disk !

--
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net>