[CentOS] Kickstart Questions

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Tue Dec 26 12:48:20 UTC 2006

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 at 12:15pm, Elrako X. Harkonnen wrote

> We dont run DHCP in our environment where I build our servers, is it required
> to get a first IP address to hit my kickstart server running on my xandros
> debian laptop? Just been a couple years since I last did some kickstart
> builds and I dont have system-config-kickstart running on a machine here in
> my home lab.
>
> I can turn on DHCP on my linux laptop perhaps, but just wanted to check in
> here before I over-engineer something.

You can put the initial ip address settings in the anaconda boot line,
e.g.:

linux ks=http://path/to/your/ks/file/server-and-file ip=$INITIAL_IP_ADDRESS netmask=255.255.255.0 gateway=$GATEWAY_ADDRESS dns=$DNS_SERVER_ADDRESS

This is documented in /usr/share/doc/anaconda-10.1.1.46/command-line.txt
(on my centos-4 system, at least).

> I have a line in the kickstart file that gives the machine it's network
> addressing like this (fictional IPs):

Well, obviously, it can't get the kickstart file from the server without
being on the network first.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering