[CentOS] Kickstart: Give IP From ks= Cmdline A Myth?

mike.redan at bell.ca mike.redan at bell.ca
Wed Dec 27 20:19:47 UTC 2006

> Hey, someone just told me yesterday that I can give my machine an
> initial IP address, gateway, dns server, and netmask via command line
> like this:

> linux ks=http://www.mydomain.com/kick.ks ip=192.168.1.5
> netmask=255.255.255.0 gateway=192.168.1.1 dns=192.168.1.10

> Is this true?  Is the syntax wrong or right?

>From what I understand, the syntax you mention above will only assign
the network information to that host for the duration of the kickstart.
It will not permanently assign that info to the kickstarted machine.

I think what you are looking for is something inside your ks file,
something like this:

network --bootproto=static --ip=192.168.1.51 --netmask=255.255.255.0
--gateway=192.168.1.254 --nameserver=192.168.1.1 --device=eth0
--hostname myhost.home.org

> If so, and I call my kick.ks file and it has
> install
> cdrom

> it'll pull the files from the CD but won't launch the CD install
right?
> I just want to initiate a kickstart where the systems get their drive
> partitioning info, IP addressing & hostname attributes, and minimal
> install packages, from the kickstart file.

Yep, that's right.