[CentOS] Re: UPS support on CentOS 4.4

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Dec 29 21:24:52 UTC 2006

Edward Diener spake the following on 12/29/2006 7:29 AM:
> peter wrote:
>>

>>> You are right, but this software needs to be manually run for the end
>>> user to find out what is happening.
>>>
>>> What I really want of course is for a visual window to popup whenever
>>> there are A/C problems, and whenever the A/C has lost power and the UPS
>>> battery is getting low.
>>
>>> It is part of apcupsd. I will look at it and see if I can get it going
>>> in CentOS 4.4. Thanks for reminding me of it.
>>

>> I haven't bothered to play with apcupsd just because I don't need to
>> worry
>> about my power where my boxes live, but on the software note, I tend
>> to find
>> far more usefull to have linux software do something intelligent like
>> send me
>> an email when there's a problem so I can just forward that to my cell
>> phone,
>> and end up notified and able to react wherever I happen to be.
>
> That is a nice feature to have.
>

>> I don't even see popups on the screen of my workstation, much less
>> anything
>> I might need a UPS on. Why would I want windows software behavior
>> under Linux?
>
> I don't know what you mean by "windows software behavior" but if I am
> working with the screen in front of me and the A/C power to my UPS goes
> out or the system needs to shut down because the A/C power has been out
> and the UPS battery is running out of power to support my continued
> working, I like to experience some sort of notification when these
> things are happening. Since I am staring at my screen, a visual
> notification seems justified to me. If that seems unusual to you then I
> can only surmise that you use your computer differently than I do.
> Nonetheless, since it's each to their own, a visual notification is what
> I would like to alert me to what is happening.
You always have the constant beeping from the UPS, and the sound of the
inverters humming. Don't depend on the software to be real accurate on the
time remaining, as it is an estimate, and is not always very accurate.
 I usually close what I am doing , saving if needed, as soon as I hear the
damn thing.. I will give it a minute or two, as the building I am in right now
has many short (5 to 10 second) sags every day.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and