[CentOS] CentOS 4.4 e1000 and wire-speed

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Sun Dec 31 17:58:09 UTC 2006

Let me follow up my own post by saying that the culprit has been found
and it had nothing to do with CentOS.

The culprit was actually the Broadcom 5708S adapters on the initiators.
An upgrade of the drivers fixed the issue where it would throttle the
bandwidth sending and receiving. These drivers are extremely hard to
manage as they are divided into 2 parts in order for the TOE engine to
work with the new Microsoft Scalable Network Package. The TOE engine by
the way does not handle iSCSI, so needs to be disabled for me, they do
sell an iSCSI engine separately though for the same adapter (strangely
enough).

-Ross