[CentOS] usernames with capitals

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 10:31:28 UTC 2006

On 01/02/06, Claus Derlien <CD at f-f.dk> wrote:
> Hi, im new to the list, so bear with me if this was discussed earlier!
>
> For historical issues we need to maintain usernames in all capitals ie. CD
>
> our test environment is running centos 3.4 - our live environment is on redhat 8.0
>
> the useradd program won't allow me to create a new user with capitals, and
> usermod wont change a lower case user name to upper case!
>
> What is my options now ? - do i have to hack the package or is there a known work around ?

Not that it helps you, but this works fine on CentOS 4.

[root at willspc ~]# useradd TEST
[root at willspc ~]# tail -1 /etc/passwd
TEST:x:1074:1074::/home/TEST:/bin/bash
[root at willspc ~]#

You could just create the entries yourself in /etc/passwd and
/etc/shadow. (Obviously after creating backups copies JIC.)

Will.