SV: [CentOS] usernames with capitals

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Feb 2 11:03:26 UTC 2006

Claus Derlien wrote:
> --NoDisclaim--
>
> I cant use an editor to mass update and change usernames as this  is a part of an automatic useradd routine
> written in an ancient legacy application which calls useradd and usermod, we have been using this software for more than 15 years, so its hard for me to argue for a rewrite, so im forced to bend the OS instead
>
> it isnt a problem on redhat 8.0, so somewhere in the patches for shadow utils. there must be a change to this behaviour..
> up until now i have created the useradds with lower case and manually converted them to upper case
>
> I am aware that it is a no no to use upper case usernames, but we have been doing it for years without problems so...
>
> thanks for the answers so far
>
> best regards
>
> claus derlien

Can we not top post ? I really hate posting when the content is just
going around and around in circles.

Anyway, just so that everyone knows - this is a known issue. Expect a
fix in U7 CentOS-3, or move to CentOS-4.

There is specific policy in place that prevents Uppercase logins from
being created.

hth,

- K