[CentOS] Unable to mount SMB drive

Benjamin Smith lists at benjamindsmith.com
Sat Feb 4 03:21:12 UTC 2006

On Friday 03 February 2006 17:20, John Merritt wrote:
> Did you add the smbuser? smbpasswd -a

John, I tried it.

smbpasswd -a <username>

then tried mounting it again, and (unfortunately) got the same "permissions
denied" error when I ran smbmount and then checked it with df.

I'm not running a samba server, I'm accessing a share from a Win2003 system,
and my understanding of smbpasswd is that it would be used for setting
passwords for a local share as accessed by other client systems. Am I missing
something?

I used the same smbmount invocations previously with a Windows 2000 server,
but it got upgraded to Windows 2003, and things broke.

The part that has me really scratching my head is that, while I persistently
get this permission denied error when I try to smbmount the partition, I can
access it fine with smbclient, not only listing files, but saving them to the
local system!

-Ben
- XEROX PARC slogan, circa 1978