[CentOS] How to add System V Filesystem to Centos?

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Tue Feb 7 01:11:55 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 17:45 -0700, Mace Eliason wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on a project where I have to move some parts files from an
> old Unix server. I have tared the files to floppy disc, but I can't
> mount them.

Wait a minute.  Ignore my last post.  If you copied the tar file to a
sysv filesystem on a mounted floppy, that is not the best way.

Just take a floppy (after backing up the directory just in case) and do:

# tar cvf /dev/rfd0135ds18 path_to_a_directory

And the directory and its files will be sent to a raw archive on the
floppy.  No filesystem involved.

You should be able to retrieve them under Centos with:

tar xvf /dev/floppy

If you need to compress the archive:

# tar cvf - path_to_directory | compress > /dev/rfd0135ds18

and then extract with:

# tar zxvf /dev/floppy.

(I think gzip will recognize the old compress format.)

-Steve