[CentOS] Adding HP7310 networked printing support

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Feb 10 02:40:59 UTC 2006

At 08:58 PM 2/9/2006, Craig White wrote:
>On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 17:41 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> > I have an HP7310 network attached.  Looks like it uses port 9100
> >
> > I want to print to it.  And from my Asterisk at home server.
> >
> > I see that I do not have the "Printing Support" group installed.  I
> > guess this would be the first set.
> >
> > Then I see http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/hplip_readme.html
> >
> > Is this driver included in the Centos repos?
> >
> > There are a number of caveats.
> >
> > Of course, for me, the biggest is need to do a make.  I bet the AAH
> > build doesn't have what that will take!
>----
>if A at H is CentOS and uses CentOS repositories...
>
>then
>
>yum install gcc gcc-c++ autoconf
>
>should get the dependencies and install anything you would need to
>'make' stuff

good, but I don't like it :)

>I don't know about hplip but you could 'yum install hpijs' which might
>have what you need.

To quote from the above URL:

HPLIP uses <http://hpinkjet.sf.net/hpijs_readme.html>HPIJS for
generating printer-ready-data for non-postscript print jobs. HPIJS
has been available since 2001 as a uni-di solution. HPIJS has been
modified to support HPLIP, but HPIJS is still backward compatible
with existing spoolers.

And I just tried yum install hplip and came up empty.

Given what the the URL tells about this utility, I would think it
should be part of the Centos base!