[CentOS] Adding HP7310 networked printing support

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 10 14:36:43 UTC 2006

Phil Schaffner wrote:

>On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 21:40 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>

>>HPLIP uses HPIJS for generating printer-ready-data for non-postscript
>>print jobs. HPIJS has been available since 2001 as a uni-di solution.
>>HPIJS has been modified to support HPLIP, but HPIJS is still backward
>>compatible with existing spoolers.
>>
>>And I just tried yum install hplip and came up empty.
>>
>>Given what the the URL tells about this utility, I would think it
>>should be part of the Centos base!
>>

>I rebuilt
>http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/4/SRPMS/hplip-0.9.7-4.2.src.rpm
>from Fedora Core 4. Works-for-me from a local yum repo for an HP
>OfficeJet.  Unless the upstream provider adds it, it won't be in the
>base anytime soon, but could be a CentOSplus candidate.
>
>Phil

Acting on your tip, I rebuilt the FC4 RPM for CentOS 4 also. It was a
completely painless rebuild but I discovered that a nasty little
"feature" of the hp-toolbox is that, if left running it will hog memory,
causing everything in sight to swap out to disk. Not a pretty sight,
first thing in the morning! Since I really wanted the features, I have
root call a homemade seek-and-destroy script at the top of every hour to
kill any toolbox I left open.
In the process of scratching my head, I wondered if maybe this unruly
behavior is the reason it's not included in CentOS...