[CentOS] Entry server hardware

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Feb 12 15:11:36 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-12 at 01:12 -0600, Isreal Varela wrote:
> Benjamin Smith wrote:

> > Any particular reason why you're not using Linux Software RAID? Having had to
> > swap RAID arrays in a hurry to alien hardware, using standard IDE and
> > software RAID was a lifesaver for me!
> >
> > -Ben
> >

> I always thought hardware RAID was the way to go, Seems cleaner to me.
> Just used to doing it that way in the Microsoft world I guess.
-----
Traditionally a hardware RAID consisted of SCSI drives on systems with
slower bus speeds and you could actually improve performance but you are
talking about low end, SATA stuff on machines with higher bus speeds and
you really aren't getting improved performance and to get a true
hardware RAID SATA controller probably will push you out of the 'entry
server hardware' category. Recognize that the lower end SATA RAID
controllers aren't truly hardware RAID but are software RAID (Brian
calls them fake RAID or fRAID) and for simplicity it's typically better
to just use software RAID.

Craig