[CentOS] Problems with IDE RAID on specific motherboard

Benjamin Smith

lists at benjamindsmith.com
Thu Feb 16 04:32:34 UTC 2006

About 9 months ago, I made a policy decision to adopt RAID 1 on all systems I
admin. (about 20 systems, all told) It's been a long, slow process.

One of the systems is being upgraded from CentOS3 to CentOS4. It's been
rock-solid stable for over a year. It's a "frankenserver" with parts from all
over the place, maintained over years of active service.

Currently, it's got an ASRock "M810LMR" motherboard in it.
http://www.ciao.co.uk/ASRock_M810LMR__5410842

When I install the O/S (I've tried CentOS 4.0 and 4.2) with IDE RAID, it
bombs, takes hours just to format the drives, and won't reboot, getting stuck
at "GRUB". But, when I install the SAME TWO DRIVES without RAID, (eg: some
partitions on one drive, some on the other) it works perfectly.

I've tried putting both drives on separate IDE cablels, using completely
different drives, and trying CentOS 4.0 and 4.2.

When I try to set up IDE raid while it's taking a very long time to format the
drives, I see lots of errors about DMA on the alternate consoles, and there
being only one drive (unable to start RAID array, only 1 drive found) even
though the installer and disk druid have no problem reporting both drives. It
comes down to something like "/dev/mdN delayed until /dev/mdX is synchronized
because they share physical resources"...

I'm stumped, and falling back to non-RAID because this system is needed in
production. And, I'm not new to using software RAID, I've been using it for
years without issue.

Any idea what's going on?
- XEROX PARC slogan, circa 1978