[CentOS] raid boot partition size?

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Fri Feb 17 20:27:07 UTC 2006

Quoting Eduardo Grosclaude <eduardo.grosclaude at gmail.com>:

> 2006/2/16, Aleksandar Milivojevic <alex at milivojevic.org>:
>>
>> Quoting rado <rado at rivers-bend.com>:
>> > What size do y'all recomend for the boot partition, 100mb?
>>
>> If /boot partition starts on the first cylinder, and if your drive
>> reports 255 heads and 63 sectors per track, this will give you BIOS
>> addressable range of aprox 8Gb (a little bit less):
>>
>> 255 heads * 63 cylinders * 512 bytes * 1024 cylinders
>>
>> Anything above it, and your BIOS can't access it.
>>

> Is this a problem related to the age of BIOS in question, or is it a plainly
> never-to-be-solved problem?

Well, there are workarounds (various BIOS extensions).  But usually, it
is wise to stay bellow 8 gigs on partition you boot from, because INT13
is standard way for boot loaders to comunicate with BIOS.  Some older
software (ancient software?) have even more serious limitations (like
~500MB).  I know that LILO has option to use LBA32 addressing (if BIOS
supports it), but I'm not sure about Grub.

If you are interested to lear more about it, you might check this page:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=434659