[CentOS] RAID 1: missing operating system

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Mon Feb 20 15:10:53 UTC 2006

Quoting Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri at cbn.net.id>:

> Hi all,
> I'm trying to setup a RAID-1 with Centos4.2 on HP Netserver E60. The raid
> consists of 2 9,1GB SCSI disks.
>
> The partitioning and installation process went smoothly, but after it
> finished
> and rebooting, there is an error: Missing operating system.
>
> The partition is:
> /
> /home
> swap

Miguel gave you a fix for this particular problem.  I'd just add that
you might also consider having small /boot on separate partition (and
make it the very first partition on the disk).  100-200MB should work
perfectly fine.  Since your drives are relatively small, it won't make
much difference (I guess your / is well within first 8 gigabytes).  On
larger drivers you could have issues (depending on BIOS) -- for example
everything works, than you upgrade the kernel and can't boot anymore
(new kernel and/or initrd image ended somewhere on the file system
above first 8 gigs).  It would also give you more options on how you
want to create your / (for exmaple, RAID-5, RAID-10, on logical volume,
etc).