[CentOS] installing on HP DV5000 64 bit

P Marvin Eberly eberlyml at wjtl.net
Tue Feb 21 22:18:25 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 12:29 -0800, mrrs wrote:

> --- P Marvin Eberly <eberlyml at wjtl.net> wr

> > like

> >  I have a Compaq v2000z with a Turion ML-37 processor and had no trouble
> > with the install of CentOS 4.2 but I guess lacked the proper drivers to
> > enable dma. I also have the ATI Express 200m, but experienced nothing
> > like you are describing. I ended up putting FC4 on it and have it
> > working pretty well.
> > > >

> What video driver are you using?

 I am using the ATI driver from Livna in FC4, never got that far in
CentOS 4.2. I fought for a while but did get the ATI drivers to work
super at 1280X768, again on FC4.

> I am noticing the same thing about dma on the drive - it is painfully slow...

  This is beyond my skill level, but as I understand it the drivers for
my chipset (ATI RS480) didn't get included in the kernel until the later
kernels. DMA was not enabled and when I tried to enable it with hdparm I
got an error which I don't recall but researching it brought me to the
conclusion that the drivers were lacking. It took about 1 1/2 hours to
install CentOS and crapped out on three of five attempts. When it was
loaded it was unusably slow. I suspect you could roll your own kernel,
but I've never done that and didn't know where to start.

  Hope this helps,

   PME