[CentOS] Anyone running VMWARE server on CentOS?

Matt Hyclak hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Wed Feb 22 15:29:04 UTC 2006

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 03:20:54PM +0000, WipeOut enlightened us:
> I guess the subject says it all..
>
> I am thinking about combining a few servers onto a single server since
> they mostly do nothing much at all which would mean there would be less
> load on the UPS and a lot less noise in my office..
>
> Since VMWare server is now free its probably the perfect time to do it..
>
> The only issue is getting the VMWare up and running.. I would prefer to
> run it on CentOS as the host OS but if it means recompiling half the
> system and not being able to use standard updates then it will probably
> just be a pain..
>
> Has anyone set this up on CentOS yet and if so what did you have to do
> to get it running?

I downloaded the VMWare-server i386.rpm and installed it. Then I ran
vmware-config.pl to configure it. Then I installed the VMWare-console
i386.rpm. Easy as pie.

I'm doing this on a CentOS4 x86_64 machine and the server seems to work
fine, however when I start up the VMware-console and try to create a new
VM, it crashes. I've got an open support ticket with VMWare regarding that.

I've also installed it on a RHEL3 box in the mean time and things seem to be
working OK from there. This includes running the console on my CentOS4 box
and connecting to the RHEL3 server and creating new machines.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics