[CentOS] Anyone running VMWARE server on CentOS?

Steve Huff shuff at vecna.org
Wed Feb 22 16:10:57 UTC 2006

On Feb 22, 2006, at 10:20 AM, WipeOut wrote:

> Since VMWare server is now free its probably the perfect time to do
> it..
>
> The only issue is getting the VMWare up and running.. I would
> prefer to run it on CentOS as the host OS but if it means
> recompiling half the system and not being able to use standard
> updates then it will probably just be a pain..

i'm running it on a Dell Latitude D610, as an alternative to dual-
booting the laptop.  CentOS 4.2 is the host OS and one of the guest
OSes.

so far it works reasonably well (install vmware-server rpm, install
linux client rpm, run vmware-config.pl, run vmware-config-console.pl,
run vmware-console).  i had to install X on the host OS so that i
could run the VMware console, but i could get away with just the
basic "X Windows" package group (didn't need GNOME or KDE).  i also
installed the "Development Tools" package group, since vmware-
config.pl complained about needing gcc.

during host OS install i disabled the firewall and disabled SELinux.

once i have my guest OSes running the way i want them i'll be
removing as many nonessential packages from the host OS as i can.  i
could also conceivably uninstall VMware server and replace it with
VMware player if the need arises.

so far the biggest problem i've encountered is that CentOS 4.2 seems
unable to deal with ACPI events; it doesn't successfully wake from
sleep.  this is inconvenient, but not the end of the world.

-steve

---
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v