[CentOS] Which version of Centos 4.2

Robin Mordasiewicz robin at mordasiewicz.com
Fri Feb 24 16:58:11 UTC 2006

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Chris Mauritz wrote:

> Paul Heinlein wrote:

>>> Me too.  8-)
>>
>> Da! The i386 release is blistering fast and very well behaved on the
>> Opterons in our shop.
>
> Yup, it's very happy on my dual Opteron 270 boxes too.  Is there any reliable
> information on potential speedup by going to 64-bit?  For typical server
> duty, I can't see how, but I'm sure that's not the case on boxes with big
> honkin' databases or ones doing serious number crunching.

<disclaimer>
No scientific data follows
</disclaimer>

In our shop we are rending animation. We have dual opterons. We render
with the 64 bit version of mental ray. We did side by side tests and found
that the larger and more complex the task is the more savings there were,
but when rendering a bunch of small simple files the savings were not
noticeable.

On the very complex shots we cut render times by almost half. Most of our
jobs are not very complex so the ratio evens out at about roughly a 10-20
percent gain. But the thing is that when the time comes to do something
very complex comes it can be finished in say three days as opposed to five
days.