[CentOS] Updates on Centos 4

centos at 911networks.com centos at 911networks.com
Mon Feb 27 22:47:14 UTC 2006

Jim Smith wrote:

> Are you serious? Running a server for a year without updates? If you
> don't mind my asking were you living in a cave or something? I hope
> you don't use the same principles on Windows are you will be 40,000
> viruses/trojans and malware worse off!!

I also have a server that I have not updated since the original
CentOS 4. And not only that, I will not update it.

Why?

1. It works.
2. It's a database server.
3. There are no user logged unless it's me.
4. There is no connection to Internet, only internal users are
allowed and it has its own firewall.
5. Why take the chance that something will break?

I have a few CentOS 4.1 workstations that I can't fully upgrade
because 4.2 broke X with some ATI cards, and those workstations
have ATI cards. There are no problem with the nVidia cards,
including the hardware acceleration. It's a problem in the ATI
driver.

So why should I risk the database server go down?

--
Thanks
http://www.911networks.com