[CentOS] Large partition problem

William A. Mahaffey III wam at HiWAAY.net
Tue Jan 3 16:09:44 UTC 2006

Bryan J. Smith wrote:

>HaraldFinnås <spamcatcher at lantrix.no> wrote:
>

>>I really hope someone has a clue on this one.... :)
>>I've got a 2.2TB array mounted on a 3ware 9500 controller.
>>I installed it last week ensuring that LBA was enabled and
>>using gpt with parted to get the full size available on one
>>array.
>>

>Just because you can slice (partition) an array doesn't mean
>the filesystem will format and/or be usable.
>

>>I also think I chose reiserfs for the array.
>>

>I would very much recommend against that on any Fedora-based
>distro.  ReiserFS support is not tested or guaranteed.

<snip>

>Er, um, there are a _lot_ of considerations beyond 1TiB
>(1.1TB) that _must_ be considered when you build a kernel
>with various filesystem support.  There's a reason why you
>should stick with the distro's kernels (regardless of
>distro).
>
>Any reason you must have ReiserFS?  And if so, I'd consider
>SuSE instead.  Of course, some things don't work on
>SuSE-based/ReiserFS as they do on Fedora-based/Ext3, such as
>NFS.

Roger that last observation :-). I have been having problems w/ ReiserFS
& NFS (twixt a SuSE 9.2 box & some SGI's) for a few weeks now, though
they *might* be calming down a bit (after some apparently prescient
recommendations from TheBS :-) ) ....

--
	William A. Mahaffey III
	Remember, ignorance is bliss, but