[CentOS] telnet to serial connection?

Steve Huff

shuff at vecna.org
Wed Jan 4 22:03:18 UTC 2006

hello folks!

here's my situation: i've got two WTI RPB+ remote power switches
(essentially a 5-port power strip which you can control via serial
interface to make each of the ports switch on and off
independently).  they work fine; i plug a DB-9 cable into the back of
my machine, fire up minicom, and i have full control.

however, my eventual plan is to use these as fencing devices for a
small RHCS cluster i'm building, and so the fencing process will need
to be scriptable.  RHCS wants to fence by invoking a "/sbin/
fence_<whatever>" script that uses Net::Telnet to connect to the
fencing device and then enters the commands.

so, it seems that what i need is a telnet server running on my CentOS
box that, instead of calling /bin/login when someone connects,
instead starts up a serial session (i'd prefer something more
transparent than minicom, if possible).  anyone have any good ideas
on how to do this?  i had been thinking of creating a user for this
purpose whose shell was /usr/bin/minicom, but i'm open to other
suggestions.

thanks,
steve

---
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v