Linux HA may not be the best choice in your situation. [CentOS] High Availability using 2 sites

Todd Reed

treed at astate.edu
Thu Jan 5 20:10:27 UTC 2006

Just to clarify, I'm looking at this from an application layer Point of
View.  One of the reasons why I'm looking at it that way, is because Tim
said he was looking at LinuxHA..."application level" redundancy that
uses IP.

Tim, just to let you know, I don't believe that LinuxHA will work in the
way you described, only because of the different IP ranges.  It looks
like Linux HA wants to take the main machines IP.  With them being on 2
separate networks, that wouldn't work.  I haven't looked, but you may
want to look at some sort of load balancing solution that you can
"weight" which server get's the majority of the request.  But, this
would require clients hitting the load balancer at one of the
facilities, therefore defeating your purpose of redundancy...if they
can't hit the load balancer, they can't hit the secondary site!

As for Brian's Message:

1)	You are right, to a point.  I'm not saying that my idea was a
replacement for BGP.  I even state that by saying "This is no
substitution for BGP".

2)	You are correct in saying that you need to change in how the
world sees you (whether that be in the application or layer3 routing).
That can be done at the application layer or at layer 3.  But, if you
are a small company that has only 1 internet link at your primary site
and 1 internet connection at your remote site and you rely on the
internet for communications between the sites, then you technically do
not qualify for an AS number.  That makes BGP useless.  That makes your
solution be somewhere in the upper layer of the OSI model.

3)	My idea was more on the lines of internet failure at the primary
site and using RRDNS on top of that.  If the secondary DNS server kicked
in and pulled it's configs from the hidden master, then the hidden
record wouldn't be configured for RRDNS because it is only used when the
primary site fails.

4)	My idea was also an application layer solution.  Last time I
checked, BGP was in Layer 3.

5)	Yes, there are some delays when using DNS.  Likewise there are
delays with BGP.  Certainly BGP delays are a lot quicker.  No argument
there.  But again, my idea is looking at it from an application layer
POV.