[CentOS] Apache reverse proxy authentication problem on RHEL based distribs only

Steve Johnson

maillist at sjohnson.info
Thu Jan 5 20:43:04 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm currently setting up an Apache SSL reverse proxy for Exchange 2003
Outlook Web Access. The setup that I have works fine on my Gentoo laptop
or on a Trustix server, however, when I try to set it up on an RHEL
based distro, with the exact same virtual host settings, I get some
weird error with the authentication mechanism. I have tried with both
CentOS 4.2, based off the server CD and Whitebox 4 and I get the same
result.

We did a network trace off the Exchange server, and noticed we noticed
what is the problem, but can't figure out why only the configuration
from those distros are causing it. When getting the HTTP authentication
prompt from the Apache front-end, I enter "domain\user" for the user,
but the Apache front-end only sends back part of the authentication
string to the exchange. As an example, "domain\user" would only send
back "d\u" to the Exchange server. This does not happen at all with the
other distributions, as I get the full "domain\user" string sent back to
the Exchange.

Does anyone have any idea as to what could be causing this, and how I
might go about fixing it? All our environment consists of the same
distribution and I would prefer not to introduce a different one just
for this purpose.

Here is my virtual host configuration for this:

==================================
<VirtualHost xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:443>

   ServerName testproxy.domain.com

   SSLEngine On
   SSLCertificateFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/server.crt
   SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.key/server.key

   RequestHeader set Front-End-Https "On"

   ProxyRequests Off
   ProxyPreserveHost On

   LogLevel debug