[CentOS] Centos locking up system with mptscsih driver error

Paul R. Ganci ganci at nurdog.com
Fri Jan 6 15:44:05 UTC 2006

Johnny Hughes wrote:

>On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 23:43 -0700, Paul R. Ganci wrote:
>

>>Bryan J. Smith wrote:
>>

>>>Nearly all BIOS updates fix these issues
>>>in my experience.
>>>
>>I find it hard to believe that flashing the BIOS to v4.06 is going to
>>fix the mptscsi problem.
>>

>Don't find it hard to believe ... try flashing the BIOS ... :)
>I have had problems like this many, many, many times.
>
>They add lots of things besides what they list in BIOS ugrades.
>
>It might  not fix it (I have no experience with this SPECIFIC board) but
>that is always the first thing I check.

Okay Johnny and Bryan, you made a believer out of me. I flashed the Tyan
motherboard (S2466N-4M) BIOS to version V4.06,  and the LSI SCSI card
(LSI53C1030) BIOS/firmware to version 5.11.01 respectively found on
theTyan and LSI Logic web sites. So far the initial result is good ...
after 8 hours the system is up happily chugging along:

 > uptime
 08:15:32 up  8:10,  4 users,  load average: 0.56, 0.31, 0.27

 >uname -r
2.6.9-27.ELsmp

This system typically dies within the first 5 minutes running this
kernel. It has lasted for as long as ~30 minutes if limited disk writes
are attempted but has never remained stable for 8 hours. Thanks for
"forcing" me to update the BIOS/firmware as this action so far seems to
have provided the cure.

--
Paul (ganci at nurdog.com)