[CentOS] 3ware disk failure -> hang

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 21:08:26 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 14:56, Bryan J. Smith wrote:

> > OK, but "raw" scsi disks don't have this problem.
>
> Huh?  Unless the device is unmounted and not in use, you
> betcha you'll have the _same_ problem.  The kernel panics
> because the device is no longer available.

No, I've had several SCSI drive failures in software
raid and the kernel will gracefully log the errors,
mark the drive failed in the md array and go on about
its business.  This doesn't happen with typical
IDE devices, but the 3ware isn't a typical IDE
controller.

If you do everything in the right order, you can replace
a failed hot-swap scsi drive and rebuild the software
raid without shutting the machine down.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com