[CentOS] 3ware disk failure -> hang -- SCSI backplanes

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Sat Jan 7 00:09:01 UTC 2006

On Friday 06 January 2006 19:02, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have a non-critical IBM eserver with software raid
> > running so I yanked a drive to see what happens.
>
> Hold on a second ...
> Are you using a SCSI backplane?
> If so, that's the difference right there!  ;->
>
> SCSI backplanes and host adapters work very, very different
> on transient (or failure for that matter) than _any_ ATA or
> regular SCSI (without a backplane).

Hmmm... how is it a different matter? A scsi backplane has very little logic
onboard other than what is required for the scsi id selection (unless that is
hardwired too). I don't know any backplane that has logic that can understand
the scsi protocol and could communicate drive removal or such to the
controller... ?

Peter.