[CentOS] OpenLDAP Problem

Peter Kitchener

peter at registriesltd.com.au
Mon Jan 9 06:15:02 UTC 2006

Everyone,

We currently are running a Centos3 directory server, I am currently
testing centos4 as an upgrade of this machine in the future. There is a
special user we have called cn=samba,ou=special in our directory, this
user is for samba to use when binding to the directory. On the
production replica server, i have taken an offline slapcat ldif of the
entire tree. I then copied this file to the test centos4 machine running
ldap with the same configuration as the centos3 production server. I did
a slapadd of this ldif file, then fixed some minor import errors as a
result. The problem occurs now when we try to bind to the test machine,
with ldapsearch or smbd, as this special samba user, ldap comes back and
tells me the credentials are incorrect. From what i understand about the
userPassword attribute is that it is outputted by slapcat as a base64
encoded MD5 hash.  I have compared the hashes between the production
server and the test server, and they are both identical. I can however
do all this successfully with the admin user. I am lost as to the cause
of this error.

Thanks

Peter