[CentOS] Yum out of sync?

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 04:25:42 UTC 2006

> What we had was a mod_ssl installed from RPM (not from yum) by the
> box-owner, who then hired us to figure out why it didn't work.

Sounds about right. You might also consider hunting for conflicting
software installed via source build as well. The two have a tendency
to go together...

> Here's what I did, in order, to fix the problem, once I figured out that
> we had a version mismatch:
>
> <snip>
>   rpm -e mod_ssl
>   yum update
>   cd /etc
>   cp yum.conf yum.conf.orig
>   cp yum.conf.rpmnew yum.conf
>   yum install mod_ssl
>   yum update
> </snip>
>
> and all is now good.

> I didn't know about the macros.  Thanks!  I don't have an .rpmmacros
> file; I presume I can just add it with the contents from above?

Yep.

> > What do you have in your repo sections for centos?
>
> We don't have a repo section in our /etc/yum.config file.  Should we?

Yeah, you have to, or yum would fail. the repo section can be in
/etc/yum.conf, or for newer yums in /etc/yum.repos.d. Basically it's
the section with the [repo-id] name=foo baseurl=somepath, etc.
Sometimes when people have trouble updating it's because they're
either not using the updates repository, they've hardcoded something
that doesn't exist anymore, or something is otherwise fouled up. Good
work in fixing it.

--
Jim Perrin
System Architect - UIT