[CentOS] Apache on CentOS

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Tue Jan 10 16:22:53 UTC 2006

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, James B. Byrne wrote:

> Does the Apache rpm shipped with CentOS 4.x have UTF-8 enabled as
> the default document encoding for all virtual servers?  If so, then
> why?

Yes. See line 730 of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf.

Why? I can't speak for Red Hat, but I for one support the move away
from the various, and rather limited, ISO-* character sets to the much
broader UTF-8 standard. For one thing, it's now the default shell
environment on RHEL/CentOS boxes. For another, it's (for me, at least)
a better output format for XML -> HTML transformations, especially
those that contain non-Latin characters like those in the Greek
alphabet.

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein at madboa.com <> www.madboa.com