[CentOS] pci sata raid card

Seth Bardash seth at integratedsolutions.org
Tue Jan 10 18:24:12 UTC 2006

	From: centos-bounces at centos.org
[mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf Of Noel Sanchez
	Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 10:57 AM
	To: centos at centos.org
	Subject: [CentOS] pci sata raid card

	Using centos 4.2. Trying to install pci sata raid card,
Pacific Digital QM-4300R10. Raid card box reads that it supports
linux. raid software has rhel 4.0 dd image. I write to floppy and use
linux dd to "try" install drivers on my centos 4.2. I see the card in
the list that centos gives me after loading the drivers, but when I
try to use them, it doesn't do anything. Nothing works. I've read that
rhel 4.0 drivers will not work on centos 4.2. What I do? Is it my sata
drives or the pci raid card or both? What is recommended? Should one
use regular sata drives and use them on the motherboard and use linux
software raid? What do others use? and how? Should one contact Pacific
Digital for correct drivers? Do i need to compile centos drivers from
the rhel 4.0 drivers? Are there any pci sata raid controllers that
work right out of the box on centos 4.2?

	duel

Duel,

In reverse order:

1) The 3ware 9500 and 9550 sata raid controllers work with Centos 4.2
out of the box.

2) If you can find the source code for the Pacific Digital QM-4300R10
driver that has
    been used in Centos 4.0 it might, "might" compile properly on a
single disk 4.2 system.

You would then need to build a driver install floppy to get the
drivers for
 a Pacific Digital QM-4300R10 that are needed during 4.2 install.

A detailed explanation of how to build an install driver disk is in
the knowledge base on 3ware's
web site.

You should contact Pacific Digital and see if they have an install
disk for RHEL 4.2.

It might work on Centos 4.2.

Best of Luck,

Seth Bardash

Integrated Solutions and Systems
1510 Old North Gate Road
Colorado Springs, CO 80921

719-495-5866
719-495-5870 Fax
719-337-4779 Cell

http://www.integratedsolutions.org

Failure can not cope with knowledge and perseverance!