[CentOS] Compile vs. RPM

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 22:29:57 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 15:28, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> > Perhaps RH will sue the "RH clone" builders if they include a
> > redhat-release rpm or /etc/redhat-release file?  It would seem rather silly.
>
> While it would be rather silly ... we have been told not to make redhat-
> release say Trademarked things :)

I'm not a lawyer, but I thought that if you wanted to keep your
trademark you had to keep it from being used as a generic term.
If third party apps must use the trademarked reference when
they really want to test for a generic compatible OS, they've
done something wrong.  There was a time when the only way to
get aspirin was to ask for a trademarked brand name...

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com