[CentOS] help with Xlib

Craig White

craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Jan 12 02:37:30 UTC 2006

I have a remote session via ssh/vncviewer and I'm logged in and working.

I have opened a terminal and am trying to start the Fedora Directory
Server console (not that this should matter)...

and thus I am typing (as root)...

./startconsole -x nologo -u admin -a MYHOSTNAME:PORT# &

and it fails to launch and returns the following error...

Xlib: connection to "MYHOSTNAME:1.0" refused by server
Xlib: no protocol specified

Console: can't connect to X11 window server using 'MYHOSTNAME:1.0' as
the value of the DISPLAY variable

and of course it then exits

I have done this elsewhere - the difference I think is that I originally
installed this system without any X stuff but have since added it and am
launching this from a GNOME session (so I know X is working).

Clues?

Craig